Thursday 2 May 2013

Curvy and Successful: - Interview - Rebecca Northcott



I first came across Rebecca in 2012 at a curvy networking event called "Plus North".  Rebecca was there taking photos and generally enjoying the various stalls and catwalk show. I found out at a later date that she had her own photography business based in West Yorkshire.  Rebecca was kind enough to give me some of her time and wanted to  offer some hints and tips  to other business ladies out there.        

Here is what she said!.  




Interviewer - Janie Britton
Interviewee - Rebecca Northcott


JB - Tell us about yourself and what your business does?
RN -  I come from Leeds, West Yorkshire. I have lived here all my life but will soon be relocating to Toronto, Canada - I married a Canadian just under 5 years ago so life has been very interesting since we decided to move there. 

I have been a Photographer for over 10 years now and it’s been sometimes a difficult journey but always rewarding when each project comes to an end. 

It is an art form, and as such every artist may go through times of self doubt and finding their own style. My photography style focuses on natural light; you can really create some beautiful images in natural light especially once you have learned about the difference between light and shadow. What your equipment can do and how to use it correctly.

JB - Tell us one thing about yourself that nobody else knows?

RN - I secretly write poetry and have done since I was young. It’s very deep and abstract. I’ve only showed it to my Husband and he thinks I should publish it. There is always something you want to hold sacred and keep to yourself. For me that is my poetry. 



JB - Have you always wanted to run your own business?


 RN - I didn’t really know what I wanted to do after school was done. I was lost; I flitted between every career choice going. I think I started out wanting to be a vet, then a makeup artist, and then finally found my love of photography. I didn’t even anticipate having my own business  until after University where I studied Photography and Digital Imaging.
 
Over time I got my first paid job – an admirer of my work from Scotland wanted me to photograph her wedding, it was a big challenge for me.  It paid off though, I’m so grateful  that this lady had faith in me. I’ve now taken hundreds of thousands of photographs and haven’t looked back in regret  at the path I have taken.





JB - What were you doing before starting up?

RN - I have always been confident with administrative work. I did anything and everything within the office sector to save up for my education.

 JB - Have you always been creative?

RN - When I was a child, I used to watch my Dad and brother draw and paint.  My Mum also has a hidden talent for painting; we have two stones by our front door that she lovingly painted. The stones came from out of the river at Bolton Abbey. The one I always loved especially was an otter swimming in the water. It’s so detailed, I was memorized by it. 

My favorite medium was watercolor pencils and oil pastels; I am getting giddy just thinking about them now. I also have always been influenced by colors, especially those at sunset. A love of nature and of art has really been the foundation to my photographic style.    


 

JB - What do you love most about photography?


RN -  l  love being able to capture what I see in my mind, for me it’s a freedom of expression I never had with words. I can write well but verbally always struggled to sound beautifully articulate. 

I can express how I feel, what I want to say and not say within the dimensions of a photograph. It is who I am. I put my whole heart into taking photographs I want them to show the beauty around us and within us.






 JB - What do you love photographing the most?

RN - Ah it has always been people. Photographing people is my passion, their emotions, their expressions and how people interact. I love photo shoots the most when people show true natural emotion.

I think for me it’s seeing those moments, a parent hugging their child, a couple looking at each other totally in love (photo shoots make really great dates) or friends laughing hysterically together.
 I crave those moments myself in my life. I want to show those loving moments in whatever form that comes in, that is my desire on what to capture. 
 
JB - How does taking somebody’s picture make you feel?

RN -I actually thrive from witnessing clients look at their own photographs and make them feel happy.  I’ve either had compliments from some guys who have said afterwards with a big smile – “I didn’t think I would like that but I did!,  It went way better than what I expected.” 


 
JB - How do you decide the best location and light for your subjects?

RN - I always look at the weather in advance for a photo shoot – usually I let the client decide what the location would be (a favourite park etc) or if they are stuck I may give suggestions.

Also please don’t believe the myth that if it’s a cloudy overcast day you won’t have great images, it is actually one of the most ideal times to take them.

JB - Have you ever been printed?

RN - My work was printed on the cover and with an article inside of “The NEW ERA” magazine. It’s quite well known especially in the USA and Canada. I just recently got a photograph featured in another Magazine called “The Ensign”.

I really hope in the future to be able to work in Toronto and get myself into more worldwide publications.

JB - Have you ever exhibited your work?

RN - My photographs were exhibited in Leeds as part of a collection of other Artists called “Echoes” this really taught me a lot and I was thankful for the experience. There really is so much work that goes into an exhibition I was in awe of all the people who helped us get it ready. 



JB - What advice would you give to budding entrepreneurs?

RN - Have a complete and utter passion for what you do as this will carry you through all the hard trials. If you have a love and passion for what you do it will help you to keep your eye on the end goal.  Don’t just quit at the first hurdle. 

The hardest thing for me was to learn that things don’t just happen overnight. Especially so in photography,  you have to build your reputation as well as your portfolio. Never forget to thank people for their kindness or for their time. It goes a long way and people never forget it.

JB   - Where do you want to be in five years' time?

RN - I would really love to be in Toronto with my husband with a photography studio and being able to work every day in photography, possibly with an assistant as it’s just me right now. I also would love to have a child by then. I just want to keep learning and growing in my knowledge and love of photography.



 



 JB - What’s your philosophy in life?

RN - I don’t have a catchphrase as such but my philosophy is to love everyone no matter what, even if they don’t love you. It really helps when you meet a total stranger. Treat them as you would want to be treated yourself and nine times out of ten you always get a great response.









The pictures above are samples of Rebecca's photography , I think we can all agree that this is one beautiful talented lady.   

Links to Rebecca’s photography work



Written by Janie Britton  - http://janiebritton.skyeladder.net/



Dea London
W - www.dealondon.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear what you think?