Wednesday 28 November 2012

Curvy and Successful: Dionna from Body Conscious Beauty


This weeks feature Curvy and Successful is with Dionna from Body Conscious Beauty. 

1. Tell us about you and what your business does?
Body Conscious Beauty is a style consulting business designed to help women of all shapes and sizes define or redefine their personal sense of style. I recently started this business because I have always been a big fan of fashion and style, and as a plus size woman I feel as though we are always told we aren't beautiful, don't take chances when it comes to fashion because of that and sometimes don't look our best because of how we feel about ourselves. Every woman is beautiful, regardless of size, but sometimes you need an outside eye to show you the way!

2. Have you always wanted to run your own business?
I developed the the desire to be in business for myself later in life. I initially got into business for myself doing catering but always wanted to explore the option of breaking into fashion in some way. 

3. Where did the idea for your business come from?
I was giving style advice to a friend of mine and she said to me, 'you should go into business for this, I don't know what I'm doing and I know a lot of women like me could use your help.' And I did! I jumped both feet first and it's been an amazing journey so far-- and I'm so glad I made the leap!

4. What were you doing before starting up?
For the past 13 years I've worked with nonprofits, primarily with women's health and environmental organizations. I am still working in this arena as I get my business off the ground- I've got two jobs at the moment!

5. What advice would you give to budding entrepreneurs?
My advice for budding businesswomen is to take a chance. We are often presented with so many reasons NOT to try, and we end up passing up on what could be a dream opportunity. I think a couple of things to remember as well is that don't get discouraged. A new business can take time to get off the ground. I've been in business since July, and only now have I secured my first paying client (!!). I've started to build relationships with fellow fashion bloggers, brands and others to build their trust and establish my brand. If you want it, it will happen!

6. Where do you want to be in five years' time?
The age old question! I would love for my business to have grown to a place where I have established a name for myself in the area I live in, and have expanded my business to nearby states. And if in 5 years my business is no longer around I can look at myself in the mirror and smile, knowing I gave it my best and had an amazing time doing it!

Follow Dionna:

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear what you think?