Wednesday 12 December 2012

Curvy and Successful with Slink Magazine's Editor

I am so excited to bring you this week's Curvy and Successful feature with one of the most inspiring women in UK's Plus size fashion industry - Rivkie Baum, Slink Magazine Editor. 

1. Tell us about you and what your business does? 

My name is Rivkie and I am the owner and editor of SLiNK magazine the UK's only aspiration glossy aimed at women size 14+ we are a bi-monthly print and digital download magazine that is full of great fashion editorial, shopping pages, beauty, travel, culture and recipes as well as brilliant articles and absolutely no boring bikini body diets. We believe in being healthy, happy and on trend no matter what your body shape is. 

2. Have you always wanted to run your own business?

I think I have really, I used to have discussions with my best friend when I was about 12 or 13 about how I wanted to be a successful business woman, so I think without realising it, this was apparently my destiny.

3. Where did the idea for your business come from?

I was working as a freelance stylist and in a plus size boutique when I realised that there were no real media magazines targeting this market of women and how women size 14+ often felt that glossies were pointless as they couldn't buy the clothes. I'm obsessed with magazines so I decided to create one that filled that niche but still felt like the magazines in mainstream media that I still love.

4. What were you doing before starting up?

I trained as a pattern cutter and designer before working as a personal shopper, editor and freelance stylist at other publications.

5. What advice would you give to budding entrepreneurs?

Don't do it! - No really, don't. However if you insist on running your own business
a. Find a mentor or two, someone who you can run ideas passed, vent at and who will help remind you to keep focussed and stop whinging when things get tough, because it is tough.
b. Have a new idea, make sure you have Unique selling point. If you think why isn't anyone doing this? Make sure no one is!
c. Be dedicated, you will have to sacrifice ALOT but if it's your dream you wont mind. 
d. Rome wasn't built in a day so chin up and eyes ahead at all times.


6. Where do you want to be in five years' time?
Seeing SLiNK stocked in all major supermarkets so that I can walk in and know we've done it. 



Follow Slink Magazine 

@SLiNKmagazine 

http://www.slinkmagazine.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear what you think?