Wednesday 14 November 2012

Curvy and Successful: Betty Bee


This weeks Curvy and Successful feature is with beautiful and creative Betty Bee. 

1. Tell us about you and what your business does?
I run the Vintage Pamperbox ( www.vintagepamperbox.com) which puts on pamper parties with a vintage twist. We offer makeovers inspired by the 1920's, 1950's or the 1980's. Ladies are taught retro make up styles, receive a full makeover and then receive a fabulous pin up photography session. Its very popular with hens, birthday celebrations and as an alternative team building event.

2. Have you always wanted to run your own business? 
I'm not sure I always wanted to run my own business. Ive always wanted to do something creative and prior to this worked as a Television director. The arrival of my little girl made the long hours on location unfeasible so I needed to find a new way to earn a living which would fulfil me creatively yet allow me to also adapt my hours to spend time with little Miss Dollychops. 

3. Where did the idea for your business come from?
I ran a Burlesque night with my best friend Lilly  and women would often approach me saying they wished they could do their hair and make up like me and did I know anyone who taught burlesque. We decided to hold a one off event, taught the make up ourselves, asked one of the burlesque performers from our night to teach a class and I roped in my husband who is a professional photographer to take some pictures.It sold out almost immediately  and I realised we have stumbled on something quite wonderful.

4. What were you doing before starting up?
As Ive already mentioned I worked as a director and producer for companies including the BBC and Granada. My last job before setting up on my own was as the head of Sony's TV and Film department.

5. What advice would you give to budding entrepreneurs?
Really love what you do. The flames of your love may often be the only thing to cling to at the beginning when it feels you are knocking on a lot of doors to no response.Oh and when promoting your business shake it like a Polaroid picture. If you aren't enthusiastic about what you do don't expect anyone else to be. 
 
6. Where do you want to be in five years' time?
Ive just written my first book (The Handmade Wedding for Cico available now on Amazon) and have become something of an enthusiast  blogger (www.Talesfrombettybeetwoers.blogspot.com) over the last two years so I would really like to continue with that and for the Vintage pamperbox to go from strength to strength.Transforming women into vintage inspired sirens is wonderful. I basically get paid to play with make up all day-whats not to love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear what you think?